Directorate of Currency
R &D-I Section
- Identification of specific areas for projects for R&D in the field of design, machinery and software for printing of bank notes and other security documents;
- Examine the proposals for R&D in the aforesaid field from institutions/individuals to be funded as per DST guidelines.
- Monitoring of R &D and Indigenisation projects from time to time to ensure expeditious implementation.
- Encouraging private sector to indigenize manufacturing of machinery required for making of bank notes, coins etc.
- To encourage indigenization either through transfer of technology or through JV route.
(R &D-II Section
- Identification of specific areas for projects for R&D in the field of Paper, ink and Security Features for bank notes and other security documents;
- Proposals for R&D in the aforesaid fields from institutions/individuals to be funded as per DST guidelines;
- Monitoring of projects from time to time to ensure expeditious implementation;
- Setting up of National R&D Centre as overall coordinator and facilitator of R&D in the field of currency and coinage.
- Administration of the National R&D Centre.
- Continuous analysis of the security features becoming available for bank notes worldwide.
- Keeping data base on the breach of security features of the Indian Bank Notes and analysis thereof.
- Continuous study and appraisal of best practices adopted in other countries for making bank notes more secure.
- Identification and acquisition of security features for Indian Bank Notes.
- All procurement related issues relating to bank notes and other security documents
- Creating data base of knowledge and keeping abreast of the latest developments and technology in the field of bank note papers.
- Liaison with the RBI and law enforcing agencies.